Is God's Word Relevant to us today?
Sunday, September 04 2016 @ 06:00 AM CDT
Contributed by: Harold
Radio transcript for the week of September 04, 2016
Harold Bigham preaches on "Is God's Word Relevant to Us Today?" on Seeking the Lost - International Radio.
Jude 3 - "Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints."
2 Peter 1:3 - "According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue"
Is God’s Word relevant to us today? God's Word is permanent and is not subject to the many changes of society. We must obey God’s Word as God gave it. God's Word doesn't need conforming but we need to conform to God's Word.
The word "Relevant" is that which is closely connected or appropriate to the matter at hand. Synonyms are: pertinent, applicable, germane.
Why is God's Word relevant to our us today?
- God's Word is dependable, reliable and trustworthy.
The Hebrew writer stated that God's Word is dependable, reliable and trustworthy because of "the immutability of his counsel" and because it is "impossible for God to lie."
- Hebrews 6:17-18: "Wherein God, willing more abundantly to shew unto the heirs of promise the immutability of his counsel, confirmed it by an oath: That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us."
The nature of God is changeless. While humans change, God is changeless. While society changes, God is changeless. Look at God's Word and then look at our society and you can see who changed. It is not God.
- Hebrews 1:12: "And as a vesture shalt thou fold them up, and they shall be changed: but thou art the same, and thy years shall not fail."
- Hebrews 13:8: "Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever."
- James 1:17: "Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning."
God’s Word endures forever.
- Psalm 119:89: "For ever, O Lord, thy word is settled in heaven."
- Isaiah 40:8: "The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever.<"/i>"
- 1 Peter 1:23, 25: "Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever... But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you."
- God's Word doesn't need to be changed or modified by us.
Many have attempted to change the Word of God.
- Matthew 15:9: "But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men."
- Romans 10:1-3: "Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved. For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge. For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God."
We are saved by obedience to God's Word and we will be judged by the Word of God. The same standard that saves us will judge us.
- Hebrews 5:8-9: "Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered; And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him."
- Acts 5:14: "And believers were the more added to the Lord, multitudes both of men and women."
- Matthew 7:21-23: "Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."
We cannot change the Word of God if we want to be saved from our sins.
- Galatians 1:6-9: "I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ. But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed."
- Revelation 22:18-19: "For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book."
All the counsel of God must be taught and obeyed. We are obligated to teach and obey only the Word of God.
- 1 Peter 4:11: "If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen."
- 2 Tim. 4:2-4: "Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables."
- Acts 20:27: "For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God."
Believing a lie will cause us to be lost.
- 2 Thessalonians 2:11-12: "And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness."
Is God's Word relevant to us today? Yes, the gospel of Christ remains as relevant to us today as it was on the day of Pentecost in Acts 2.
Read and study about the commands of the gospel and submit to God's Law today for humanity.
Have you obeyed the Gospel of Christ? The Bible states that we can obey the gospel and be added to the Lord's body by the Lord himself. Hear the gospel (Romans 10:17) ; Have faith (Mark 16:16); Repent of your sins (Luke 13:3,5); Confess the dear name of Christ (Romans 10:9-10) and be baptized to wash away your sins (Acts 2:38). We then meet the grace of Almighty God (Ephesians 2:8). Be faithful even until you die for the Lord (Revelation 2:10) so that Heaven can be your eternal reward.
Thank you my friend for studying the Bible with us today and may God bless you as you continue to read and study the Bible.