The Bible is the Word of God
Sunday, June 19 2016 @ 06:00 AM CDT
Contributed by: Ricky
Radio transcript for the week of June 19, 2016
Ricky Berger preaches on "The Bible is the Word of God" on Seeking the Lost - International Radio.
Many people in this world believe in God. Many people believe the Bible is the word of God. However, not everyone understands that the Bible is the complete written word of God. This means that what the Bible says is final. God has chosen to speak to mankind today through the Bible only. It is true that in the Bible you can read about times when God spoke to people in ways other than through writing (Hebrews 1:1-2). As we will see from the Bible, God chooses to no longer communicate with us this way. Just because God has only chosen this means of communication does not make Him any less of the God He is or any less powerful. If anything, we should be reminded of His great power and authority and respect such.
The Bible is final, it is given to make us become the people God wants us to be (2 Timothy 3:16-17). It is the faith (singular) delivered once for all (Jude1:3). There is not a new or different revelation that we are awaiting to receive from God. God has already "given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness" (2 Peter 1:3). If He has already given us all things we need, there is nothing else to give us. When asked to answer one of the more difficult questions we hear- Marriage, divorce and remarriage - Jesus began by saying, "Have you not read" (Matthew 4:4). Thus placing the important emphasis on the word of God. The apostle Paul told the church at Ephesus that he has written the revelation he received from God and stressed the importance of reading said revelation (Ephesians 3:1-5). John gave us the assurance of salvation when he said you "know that you have eternal life" (1 John 5:13). Notice in this same verse he said the way to know is by what has been written. Again, when Jude was teaching of the one faith, he said twice in the same verse that we learn of such because it is written (Jude 1:3).
God is powerful. His word is powerful. His word saves us (1 Corinthians 15:1-4; Romans 10:17). To say that God speaks to us through His written word only does not take away from God; it reminds us that the God "who cannot lie" (Titus 1:2) has revealed through the Bible that this will be His only means of communicating His will to mankind during the Christian era.---
What does the Bible say about salvation?
- All have sinned and come short of the glory of God (Romans 3:23).
- The wages of sin is death (Romans 6:23).
- But the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord (Romans 6:23).
- Not everyone will go to Heaven (Matthew 7:13-14; 2 Thessalonians 1:7-9).
- Only those who obey God will go to Heaven (Matthew 7:21).
- Obedience means believing that Jesus is the Son of God (John 8:24; Hebrews 11:6).
- Repenting of sins (a change of life) (Luke 13:3; Acts 17:30).
- Confessing your faith in Jesus (Romans 10:9-10).
- Being baptized for the remission (forgiveness) of sins (Mark 16:16; Acts 2:38; 22:16; 1 Peter 3:20-21).
- Live as a faithful Christian until death (Titus 2:12; Revelation 2:10).
What does the Bible say about how we are to worship God?
- We are to worship in spirit and in truth (John 4:23-24).
- Worship is to be on the first day of the week (Acts 20:7).
- The male members are to lead the worship service (1 Corinthians 14:34).
- God’s word is to be preached (Acts 20:7).
- Prayer is to be offered to Him (Acts 2:42).
- Christians are to give cheerfully according to how God has prospered them (1 Corinthians 16:1-2; 2 Corinthians 9:6-7).
- The Lord’s Supper is to be taken (1 Corinthians 11:23-29; Acts 20:7).
- Members are to sing one to another from the heart (Ephesians 5:19; Colossians 3:16).
- We are not to change by adding to or taking from (Revelation 22:18-19).