Walking Through the Mount (Part 5) - Prayer and Possibilities, The Golden Rule
Sunday, July 31 2016 @ 06:00 AM CDT
Contributed by: Todd
Radio transcript for the week of July 31, 2016
Todd Clippard preaches on "Walking Through the Mount (Part 5) - Prayer, Possibilities and the Golden Rule" on Seeking the Lost - International Radio.
The context of "The Golden Rule" is often overlooked and thus ignored in studies and explanations of this marvelous text.
Note that the first word of Matthew 7:12 is "Therefore". This lets us know that what follows is predicated on the text immediately preceding. In this case, Matthew 7:7-11.
There are a couple of popular views of Matthew 7:7-11. The first is the one generally understood by most.
- View #1 - Be Earnest in Prayer (Matthew 7:7-11)
- Colossians 4:2 (cf Acts 12)
- Philippians 4:6
- 1 Peter 5:6-7
- View #2 - With God All Things Are Possible (Matthew 7:7-11)
- Genesis 18:14; Matthew 19:26
- Perhaps Jesus saw the consternation or anxiety on the faces of His audience and was responding to a "Lord, increase our faith" (Luke 17:5) moment...
- How can I rejoice in the face of persecution? Acts 4:19, 5:17-42
- How can I turn the other cheek? Isaiah 50:5-7
- How can I love my enemies? John 3:16
- How can I live above worry? Luke 10:1-8, 22:35
- How can I ignore the pressures of the other’s expectations, especially when they are unreasonable? Eze 3:8-9, Luke 9:51
- Luke 17:1-10
- The Response?
- Ask = Pray - engage the heart
- Seek = Be Decisive - engage the will
- Knock = Be Earnest! - refuse to be denied
- What are the "good things" that our Heavenly Father gives to those who ask Him?
- Ephesians 5:1 (cf Matt 5:43-48)
- Ephesians 5:8
- Cautions in Prayer: Praying "in Jesus’ Name"
- Matthew 21:22
- Matthew 18:19
- John 14:13-14
- Praying in Jesus’ name = praying according to His authority
- Praying in Jesus' name = praying God’s will be done in all things
- The Golden Rule - (Matthew 7:12)
- "Therefore" = "In view of everything I’ve just said, and in consideration of how good God is to you"
- Treat others the way you want to be treated.
- How we treat others is an open book to our own view of self
- If I am quick to criticize others, esp in the smallest matters
- If I am easily offended,
- If I am quick to publicize every perceived wrong or slight,
- If I am not easy to be entreated - James 3:17